Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Recaps and Rites of Passage: Winiferd the Blog Turns One and Winiferd the Dog Turns Two

I published our marriage post in a hurry last Friday because I was trying to get the post out to friends and family as quickly as possible.

There's a little bit more to the story.

Ian and I bought our marriage license the day before my birthday, on April 25th.


I forgot to brush my hair and donned my mutant and super-hero shirt. It was a special occasion, you see.


We had zero plans, and in our area, marriage licenses expire after thirty days. I called the courthouse that same day and and politely asked that someone marry us. I received no feedback.

I began calling the courthouse on a daily basis. The weeks passed. With eight days left until the license expired, I began to panic. I called every judge and reverend I could think of, desperate. And they all ignored me.

You guys, we spent 100 bucks on that marriage license. That's, like, ten pizzas from Pizza Hut. Or ten bags of dog food.   

And so, still desperate, I handed the phone to my co-worker who called the courthouse, pretended to be me, and copped an enormous attitude. Within three minutes, I had an appointment with a judge.

I sent Ian a text: "Call me. We're getting married tomorrow at 11:15am."

The morning of the wedding was a blur.

In the car, on the way downtown:

Laura: "I phoned ahead and talked to the judge. Our ceremony might run slightly longer than usual. I added a couple things."

Ian: "Oh yeah?"

Laura: "Yeah. You have to promise to honor and obey me. And I have to promise to make you honor and obey me."   

The cops at the courthouse were straight out of a Reno 911 episode. One rather, err, rugged woman put my purse through a scanner and puffed up like a female Hulk.

Rugged female cop: "Ma'am, do you have a camera in there?"

Laura: Yes. It's my wedding day."

Rugged female cop: <Rolls eyes> <Glares at bride>

Laura: "Eeep."

Rugged female cop: "Cameras aren't allowed."

Luckily another nicer female cop rescued us.

Nicer female cop: "Cameras are always allowed at marriage ceremonies. Congratulations, ma'am!"

Once inside the courthouse, we had a blast. And it was perfect.




The day after we married, Ian and I drove to Jackson for a quick get-away.

We visited the Casey Jones museum and home. You know, the Casey Jones famous for smashing into a stalled freight train and killing himself.

Posing in front of the Casey Jones steam engine. Presumably pre-smash. 



The Casey Jones historic home was terrifying. It had all the charms and graces of the hotel in The Shining. Particularly that scene when the the cascade of blood gushes down the hallway. 

All work and no play makes Laura a dull girl.


Then we went to the Big Cypress Tree state park. We were underwhelmed.

Who drives an extra thirty miles to see poison ivy? We do!


A magnificent specimen of poison ivy


We walked under entire canopies of poison ivy for most of the trail. It was horrifically romantic.


We also visited the Cypress Grove Nature park, which was fifty times cooler than the state park.

We saw ghost-owls. I think.


Yep. Definitely ghost-owls.


Winiferd the dog turns two tomorrow, on May 24th. She has outgrown the incessant hyperactivity of her first year and mellowed into a calmer dog who needs multiple naps everyday.

She adores Spottswood, the yard, the walks around the neighborhood, and the chickens. She even adores New Daddy.

Laura: "Winnie, Daddy loves you."

Ian: "Because I'm forced to."

Laura: "Legally, you have to now. It's in our marriage certificate. I made the judge add a clause."

These days, you'll find Winnie doing this the majority of the time:


Happy birthday, Winnie!

Finally, Winiferd the blog turns one today. The blog has chronicled the best year of my life, and I've had way too much fun writing it.

Thank you for reading, thank you for the feedback, and I hope you stick around.

2 comments: